27155 Detroit Rd
At Kamm's Corners
16800 Lorain Ave
7729 Broadview Rd
Seven Hills, OH
Mexican Food Glossary
- A thin fried pastry finished with a sweet topping.
- A large flour tortilla filled with meat, cheese, or beans.
- Carne Asada
- Pieces of thin-cut beef that is grilled. Literally, "roasted meat."
- A dish made with small pieces of pork.
- A thick boat-shaped corn tortilla fried and filled with other ingredients. In Mexico, a chalupa is a small canoe.
- Charro Beans
- Simmered pinto beans with a bacon flavoring, mixed with onions and tomatoes. Charros are Mexican cowboys.
- Chile Con Queso
- A melted cheese dip flavored with mild green chilies.
- Chile Relleno
- Cheese-stuffed mild green chilies, battered and fried until the outside is crisp and the cheese inside is melted. Literally, "stuffed peppers."
- A burrito that is sealed closed and fried till crisp.
- Chimichurri Sauce
- A spicy oil-and-vinegar-based garlic sauce, usually green but sometimes red, often used as a marinade.
- Dried, smoked jalapeño chilies.
- A Mexican sausage made with ground pork and spicy seasonings.
- Shredded meat, usually beef.
- A tortilla dipped in chili sauce, then filled with meat or cheese, rolled up, and baked. Usually served topped with salsa and cheese.
- A salad.
- Meat brought to the table on a metal platter, sizzling loudly, with tortillas and condiments served on the side.
- A rich custard dessert with a layer of soft caramel on top.
- A small corn tortilla that has been stuffed with meat or beans, then sealed and deep-fried until crisp. Literally, "flute".
- A dish made from mashed avocado and lime or lemon juice, with onions, chilies, and seasonings added. Often used as a condiment in Mexican dishes.
- A medium-hot green chili pepper.
- A cocktail made with tequila, an orange-flavored liqueur, and lime juice.
- Dough made from dried corn.
- Mexican Rice
- White rice roasted in a skillet with garlic and onions until light brown, then steamed or simmered with tomato sauce and chicken stock.
- A spicy, rich sauce consisting of nuts, seeds, spices, chilies and a small amount of chocolate.
- Crisp tortilla chips topped with melted cheese and chopped chilies. Invented in 1943 by Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya in Piedras Negras, Mexico.
- Pico de Gallo
- An uncooked tomato, onion, and chili relish. Literally, "beak of the rooster."
- A large mild green chile. Poblanos originated in the Mexican state of Puebla.
- A flour tortilla filled with meat and cheese, folded in half, and toasted.
- Ranchero Sauce
- A spicy tomato-based sauce that includes onions, green chilies, and seasonings.
- Refried Beans
- Cooked red or pinto beans that are mashed, then fried.
- A spicy tomato-based sauce used to dip or to accent dishes.
- A grilled sandwich of cheese and other ingredients between two tortillas.
- A small circle or bowl of fried masa topped with some type of filling and a garnish or cheese.
- A creamy white sauce. Literally, "Swiss."
- A corn tortilla filled with meat, cheese, or beans.
- Corn masa encasing some type of filling, usually pork. Traditionally steamed in corn husks. Don't eat the husks!
- A thin, round unleavened bread made of either corn flour or wheat flour and baked on a griddle.
- A toasted tortilla topped with meats, beans, or cheeses.